Monday, October 27, 2008

The Beginning

After six months of trying to get pregnant we found out in Feb. 2006 that we were expecting our 3rd baby. We were so excited. Me and Caitlin wanted a little girl, but the boys wanted another boy. Well in May we found out what we were having. A little boy! During the ultrasound the tech kept focussing on the stomach, and she finally said that she thought she saw stomach above the diaphragm. This is known as a diaphragmatic hernia. She said we would have to wait and talk to my doctor to find out for sure. We left in good spirits because we figured that a hernia was easily fixed right? Well that evening Dr. Smith called and said that I needed to go see the maternal fetal doctors up at LDS hospital. Well that made the situation seem serious so that night I decided to look up diaphragmatic hernia on the web. My heart sank when I read about it, it said that 50% of the babies dont make it. The problem with having a hole in the diaphragm is that the stomach, intestines, and liver will come up into the chest and it takes up to much room and the lungs dont have room to grow properly. I was in hysterics I couldnt beleive that this was happening, I couldnt beleive that something so horrible was happening to my baby.

No comments: