Monday, October 27, 2008

Gavins first meet with Dr.Scaife


On September 24th my dad and brother inlaw Gordon came up to give Gavin a blessing. I knew in my heart that Gavin needed all the prayers and blessing possible to get better. The next morning on September 25th I got a phone call at 9:30 a.m., it was Gavins surgeon Dr.Scaife asking for consent to do his surgery in an hour. So Brad rushed home from work and picked me and the kids up and we headed for the hospital. When we got there they decided to do a surgery on a baby that was doing worse than Gavin. So we had to wait. Gavin was too ustable to move so they brought the operating room to his room, it was the craziest to think that they could do his surgery right there at his bedside. That was so hard to leave him in the hands of the surgeon, I would have given anything to trade places with him at that moment. Brads parents, and his aunt Diane, and my dad were there waiting with us through Gavins surgery. After what seemed like forever the surgery was over. Dr Scaife came out and told us that Gavin did incredibly great through the surgery. Instead of having just a hole in his diaphragm he was actually missing the whole left side of his diaphragm. So they took the two bottom layers of his abdominal muscles and made him a new one. I was so grateful the surgery was over. Now we could focuss on getting him better so that he could come home.

1 comment:

Silvia said...

Gosh, I cannot IMAGINE what it would've been like for you. I still remember when Gavin was in and out of the hospital, and how difficult it was for you. I felt so bad because I didn't know what to do except pray that he would be ok so you and the rest of your family could be ok. I would be in hysterics if Jacen had any sort of problem like that. I had enough of a hard time when he came home on a bili bed and bili blanket, but nothing worked for his awful jaundice. I'm so glad Gavin is doing so much better now and that he is alive and healthy like nothing had happened. What a miracle baby!
-Silvia